Click to enlarge

September 11, 2010 (L)

The new mate of the Woodside Houses father. According to James the family's dedicated observer she showed up earlier this year but the couple did not nest. Last year the original mother died while her baby was still unfledged. The father took care of the baby on his own and after more than a year the youngster still visits his old home.

Today the new mate found herself in trouble when she caught a mouse which was stuck to a glue trap at the side of one of the buildings. She stood perched on this fence for several hours unable to dislodge her foot from the terrible trap.

When I got to her she didn't appear too stressed out but was desperately trying to free her foot from the trap. After politely asking a large group of observers to disperse so she would have less distractions we called Bobby Horvath for advice. I began to describe the situation to him and to my great joy as I got closer to her to test how much of me she would tolerate she pulled off the mouse from the glue and ate it and then began fervently to pull the trap off her foot.

Woodside Houses Dad stood close to his new mate while she had her foot stuck on the glue trap.

She was able to free all her toes from the nasty glue and the trap fell to the ground after which she flew to a nearby tree.

I would like to believe that Mr Horvath transmitted his good luck through the phone to help her.

Her foot looked fine with no sign of damage.

A little visitor came to a tree near the Woodside female hawk for a few minutes.

A squirrel in the small enclosed lawn where I stood to observe the Woodside hawk consumed a bird which according to James was killed earlier by a kestrel.

I think it was more likely that the bird met its end by flying into a window. This is the first time I have observed carnivorous behavior in a squirrel.

The Woodside Houses female stood in the same perch for several hours dozing off many times.

She preened and coughed up a pellet and appeared to be OK as far as I could see.

She is a very large bird, considerably larger that Lola and the Riverside Park Mom.

James and I were not the only ones watching her.

Later in the evening back in Central Park, Lola visited Palemale's roosting tree for a little while.

Palemale communicating silently to Lola perched in a lower branch.

A little friend hopped around in the grass under Palemale's roosting tree.

Palemale trying to find a more comfortable branch to spend the night.

Sleep well Pal, and thanks to you and all your friends for allowing me to observe your beautiful lives each day--without which there is nothing else for me worth living for.

All images today photographed on Saturday September 11, 2010.