Riverside Baby Disposed!

Riverside Park Baby hawk which was found on the Westside Highway was disposed my the Urban Park Rangers without ensuring that a necropsy and toxicology tests performed on it.


June 30, 2009:
Spoke to Christina Rosatto
DOH/Vector Surveilance
(212) 676-2018

I was informed that the DOH "will not accept dead animals from any agency unless there are 10 or more of the same species found dead in the same place."
This contradicts the Urban Park Rangers claim that they were not getting results from Ward Stone fast enough so they stopped using him and are now sending it to DOH.

I will now make the conclusion that for more than a year now none of the dead animals retrieved by the Urban Park Rangers (including raptors) have had any necropsy performed and were all disposed and all possible data which could have come from these animals are lost forever.


June 19, 2009 9PM:
All three babies accounted for.

June 20, 2009 11AM:
Only two babies seen in the vicinity of the Riverside Park nest.

June 20, 2009 12 Noon:
Motionless body of baby hawk discovered on southbound side of Westside Highway.

June 20, 2009 – 12:10PM:
Riverside Park staff informed. Several members of management and maintenance worked arrived. After more than 30 minutes all Riverside staff left claiming that there was nothing they could do to retrieve the body. They informed Annabelle that they made several calls for help.

June 20, 2009 – 12:55PM:
Called DEC Police 718 482-4885

June 20, 2009 – 1:20PM:
Called CP Precinct 212 570-4826

June 20, 2009 – 1:33PM:
Called 20th Precinct 212 580-6412

June 20, 2009 – 1:35PM:
Urban Park Ranger (Sergeant Clifford—Identity given to me on June 24th by Ranger Sonny) arrives in a marked 4-wheel drive vehicle along the west southbound lane of the highway.

June 20, 2009 – 1:40PM:
UPR Clifford stopped southbound traffic with large STOP sign while I crossed the highway to retrieve the dead bird.

June 20, 2009 – 1:41PM:
Dead bird placed on ground by me to decide what to do with it. As I placed it on the ground I saw that a large rat was released from its talons. The bird’s talons were both still in a clenched position as the rat rolled from its body.

June 20, 2009 – 12:42PM:
I informed the UPR (Sgt Clifford) that I want to have the body along with the rat sent to Dr Ward Stone for pathology.

The UPR told me that she was in a better position to deliver the carcasses to Dr Stone. I impressed on the UPR how important it was to get the bodies of both the hawk and the rat tested since there is a concern about the presence of anti-coagulants in the food chain.

I offered to take the carcasses myself but the UPR exercised some overpowering authority on the possession of the bodies. I offered no opposing attitude. I reminded her that the carcasses must not be frozen only refrigerated so as not to corrupt the pathology.

Both the UPR and myself photographed the dead animals which were then placed in a large black plastic bag and taken away.

June 22, 2009 – Called UPR Sheridan Roberts 864 320-6733 to follow up on the pathology. UPR Roberts informed me that the hawk was either sent or being sent to the Department of Health. I expressed annoyance of this break of the UPRs promise. I realized that there was little I could do if they sent the bodies to the DOH so I impressed on Sheridan how important it was for whomever was doing the test to make sure that the toxicology tests were performed on both the baby hawk and the rat.

June 24, 2009 – 2:25PM:
Called UPR Sonny 347 865-5373 – I was informed that the DOH on hearing of the circumstances surrounding the death of the baby hawk informed the UPRs that they (the DOH) would not accept the carcasses since the cause of death was obvious a necropsy was unnecessary.

June 24, 2009 – 2:35PM:
Called Sara Aucoin, Dir Urban Park Rangers 212 360-2774. Sara was cold and rigid and kept stating to me that the UPRs followed normal protocol in handling this case.

A major NYC raptor was found dead and was disposed without the important performance of a necropsy and toxicology tests which is vital to monitoring the health and environment of our precious wildlife!