Pale Male Junior

Younger chick getting ready (The white stuff on his face is loose down)- Saturday July 16, 05

Trump Parc Nest- Pale Male Jr. and Charlotte

Monday Jan 16, 2006:
Since my encounter with PM Jr & Charlotte on Dec 22, 05 in The Mall & Sheep Meadow I haven't been south to see them.

Tuesday September 13, 2005:
Maggie & Charlie are both soaring high and with this new talent they are more difficult for us to find them. As disappointing this is to us, it's great news for them.

Saturday August 13, 2005:
Both chicks played at the lawn sprinkler for two hours or so. They found a puddle under the shrubery near the CPW wall and did their popular 'belly dip'--looks like a dance. By evening they were both back near Pine Bank Bridge where Pale Male Jr. brought them both food.

Sunday August 7, 2005:
Both babies seen with full crops today. They spent a lot of time sleeping. Charlotte appears to keep her distance--yesterday on the Essex sign, today on the CNN sign. The babies did a lot of low flying between trees, but not as active as they were yesterday.

Saturday August 6, 2005:
The chicks are demonstrating remarkable flying skills from tree to tree, from tree to ground, over the Wesr Drive, gliding over pathways etc. No flying above the tree line thus far. The Big Girl appears to be love playing and attacking twigs, branches and garbage bags. The Little Boy on the other hand goes directly for the real thing. This afternoon he tried his luck with a squirrel near the CPW wall close to Columbus Circle and the squirrel became very defensive and chased him out of the area.
Mom was seen on the right tip of the 'X' in Essex again this evening. Dad soared in front of The Trump International Hotel.

Monday August 1, 2005:
Both parents of the CPS nest are seen daily very close to their two chicks. I have noticed that only Pale Male Jr. brings food to them. His mate is very present in the feeding area but in the limited time that I observe I haven't seen her feeding them.

Friday July 22, 05:
Both chick fledged successfully and are now in the CPS area.

Tuesday July 19, 2005:
Both chicks are flapping and gaining lift. They are left alone for very long periods. Today Pale Male Jr made a very short visit to the nest late in the evening. Charlotte remained on the first 'E' of the Essex sign and had not returned to the nest by the time I left. Yesterday she did go to the nest very late so I can say with a moderate amount of certainty that she still overnights with the babies.

Sunday July 17, 2005:
Pale Male Jr. brought a rat to the nest very early in the afternoon with which both chicks fed themselves. They slept a lot in the afternoon and began exercising mostly late in the evening. They hardly reacted to the two heavy downpours between 4 & 5 PM. Charlotte stayed away from the nest all afternoon, but kept various line-of-sight perches on The Essex House, and the roof of 888 Seventh Ave. Around 8:10 PM she came back to the nest and I would only assume she'll spend the night there.

Notes from Kentaurian:
"On July 3rd, I set up a Nikon spotting scope (fixed eyepiece at 50x magnification) on the 72nd Street transverse near the statue of The Falconer, just west of the center of Central Park. Looking from the road and up the small hill toward the open space over Sheep Meadow, people were amazed that we could see the baby RedTail Hawks so clearly from that distance.

July 4th, I moved further south and up the hill towards Sheep Meadow, setting up where the walkways intersect on the northeast end not far from the "Mineral Springs" snack bar, rest rooms and public phones. Holiday crowds were in the park so many got to see the nest through the scope; chicks being fed, preening, slicing. An adult on top of the Hampshire House chimney was very visable for a long time.

July 10th, Tom McIntyre joined me with his Celestron at the Mineral Springs location. So with two scopes we could watch both the chicks in the nest and an adult often on the "X" of the Essex sign. It was such a nice day there were lots of people in the park for the weekend and many enjoyed looking through the two scopes. Tom left early, I stayed until twilight - on my way out, I stopped by the Oak tree where we often see moths at night this time of year, Nick was there and we saw a number of colorful "Catocala Underwings" - but eager mosquitoes ushered me prematurely homeward.

July 15th, after several days of cloud cover and rain, the chicks were fairly quiet most of the afternoon because of the intense sun and heat - one or more adults sat variously on several letters of the Essex House sign - several moments stick in my mind since I checked the time on the MONY clock located somewhere along Broadway near 56th Street:

At 7:11pm the larger chick faced the park, jumped high and spread its wings - my heart skipped a beat because the highpower magnification and my level line of sight made it seem that the chick might be moving forward into open space (gulp) - at 7:37pm a human head popped out of the window south of the nest, then another, arms waved, smiling, etc - I'm just glad for them that they were not attacked by the nearby hawk adult - at 8:14pm one of the chicks facing west, started leaping and flapping (getting some good action going at last) - satisfied, I then packed up but stopped by the "Magic Oak" and counted at least ten Catocala Moths fluttering around me in the dark, back lit by moon light."

__ Kentaurian __

Monday July 11, 05
All hawks are doing very well. The babies are very tall and are periodically exercising their wings. One of them pecks at food left in the nest but no major self-feeding thus far. Both parents were on the nest around 8:00PM

Friday June 24, 05
Very hot day today. Mom spent most of the afternoon shading the babies with her spread wings. The babies ventured from her shade on several occasions to inspect this and that.

Tuesday June 21, 05
The chicks are growing up fast. Their feet are too big for their bodies and they walk on their (human equiv) knees to get around.

Sunday June 12, 05
Very hot day. Many sections of the park mostly on the east side were blocked off due to a parade on Fifth Ave. Junior's nest viewed mostly from my 57th Street host. The two chicks are very active and can hardly be differentiated. An all white pigeon was fed to them in the afternoon. The babies eat and quickly settle down to sleep about every 45 minutes. They sleep like human children—flat out with their head on the same level of their body. They walk on ‘all fours’.

Saturday June 11, 05
The baby which ventured out to the edge of the nest is back in the middle and eating like a little piglet. Today Mom had to cover them up during the few heavy afternoon downpours.

Thursday June 9, 2005
I'm going to stop watching out for that third egg hatching. The two chicks are doing very well, so I'm not going to keep writing that the third egg did not hatch. Let's just wish these two little stinkers the best, and I'll continue to try and acquire the best photographs of them that I can.
Today there were numerous visits from Jr. The two chicks are sleeping a lot and has to be nudged on occasion to be fed by Mom.

PM Jr's Second Chick Hatched Today
The first of three eggs hatched on June 2nd. Today sometime before 2PM the second chick hatched. At 2:15 PM I saw a wet (not from rain) chick trying to keep its head up as the first chick was being fed. By 5PM
both chicks were being fed together. Saturday June 4, 2005

Pale Male Jr. named by Ben Cacase in 2002 when he discovered this young hawk attempting to build on the Century building CPW, assumed to be the son of Pale Male

Saturday June 4, 05
Today at 2:15 PM when I began observing, I immediately saw that only one egg was left. The second yellow little lump quivered in a little ball while its older sibling looked more active and demanded to be fed by its obliging mother. The newly hatched chick had a wet, sticky looking head. It was remarkable to see just after a few hours that it was being fed raw food (small dark bird) along with its older sibling.
Mom made an extra effort to isolate the last egg on several occasions to sit on it while the babies slept uncovered at times. PM Jr. did the same on the two occasions between 2:15 & 8:30 PM where he sat on the egg while Mom left for her 20-30 min breaks.

The first of three eggs hatched yesterday June 2nd

The first of three eggs hatched yesterday June 2nd. Today at 6:30 PM it is seen above being fed by Pale Male's daughter-in-law, a very chocolate brown female that had an unsuccessful first attempt this year. I guess all the positive thoughts that were generated for Pale Male & Lola over the last two months got swept southward.

Pale Male Jr. was first identified and deduced to be an offspring of Pale Male by Ben Cacace back in 2002. At that time this pale colored hawk, a remarkable resemblance to his father, first attempted to nest on an air-conditioner unit on The Century Building (25 CPW). The sticks he brought failed to stay put and he never was able to build a substantial nest there.

Junior remained in the Central Park South area and Ben reported many sightings and hunts near The Heckscher Ballfields, Tavern on the Green etc.

In 2003 he began putting a few twigs on a bare steel beam very high up on the South tower of the then under construction Time-Warner Building at Columbus Circle. His activity was closely monitored though eventually he gave up on that perilous location and opted for his present nest site. I should mention that while he built on TW the construction workers were aware and very supportive by not disturbing his nest building.

The nest site was located on the 35th Floor of the Trump Park Hotel west face, located at Sixth Avenue and 59th Street. Ben reported seeing at least one egg on the nest during his lunchtime visits to Heckscher to watch with his binoculars. In the early Spring of 2003 an evening of extremely heavy winds totally destroyed the puny nest, eggs and all. That same evening Junior’s mate, certainly distressed, flew into a pair of Falcon’s territory near Grand Central and was killed in the air. The entire battle was observed by a trusted friend of Ben. Her body was picked up on the street-dead before hitting the ground.

In 2004 Junior having much earlier attracted a new mate began to build a nest for the first time in a tree. The nest just west of The Carousel, according to one professional loafer in the area with whom I became acquainted, had as its foundation a purloined squirrel’s nest. This nest, even if it showed a great deal of promise was abandoned after a terrible blizzard on March 17th 2003.

The determined RTH immediately took his mate to his nest site of the previous year and attempted to build and have a second shot for the season. 2004 went on to be a fruitless year for them. The nest site was nevertheless preserved.

This year 2005, keeping a similar timeline with his father, Junior and his mate had yet another disappointment. The two eggs were reported by a vigilant neighbor to be out of the nest and unattended by the middle of April. I didn’t have the heart to watch another nest go down so I regretfully did not pay close attention to them. When I was told by another neighbor that the spot was once again becoming active I still avoided watching what I thought would be an inevitable disappointment. I was wrong. On June 2nd 2005 Pale Male Junior’s first baby was born. This evening I was fortunate enough to be invited up to a very exclusive apartment to photograph the nest. My view point is only through glass 670’ away. I watched the chick being fed by its mother. It is not moving about as yet and hardly looks to be completely out of its shell. The twigs are certainly wet and you can see the wetness running down the sides of the concrete around the nest. The mother continues to incubate. In the hours I was there Junior never showed.

It’s a tough nest to be in; It has no shelter, it’s wet and more particularly it’s extremely high with no trees around. Pale Male’s nest compared to this one seems like paradise. I should be worried and nervous about the prospect of Junior’s offspring but I shall not allow myself to be. There is a beauty in seeing this one wobbly chick being fed this evening which proves to me that he has made it! Everything from here on is icing. I see his shaky little face as a triumph for all animals that are left alone to be free. I don’t know which has more danger and obstacles for them; the wild or NYC? I feel somewhat ashamed that I gave up on them so easily and never put any positive vibes out for them; maybe that was their saving grace. Either way they triumphed for all animals that are free, and they vicariously standup for those that are not. Like the seals and polar bears stuck for the rest of their lives in a pool to swim around in circles and never see open space and free flowing wind on their faces; Left to eat food tossed at them from a bucket and be stared at by bored children and thoughtless parents, under the pretence that zoos preserve animals that would otherwise be dead or extinct. That damp little baby hawk that is now snuggled under its caring mother high up on that rickety nest may freeze to death before it ever gets to fledge, but it would die free. It will never experience the humiliation of being tortured into submission and strapped to a wagon to amuse my fellow beings.

It will never be trapped, at least while I have dexterity in my hands and mobility in my legs and my own freedom intact, to perform tricks and acrobatics to the enjoyment of one singularly disrespectful being who is so blinded by his greed and imprudence that any voice that speak up against his thoughtless overindulgence is condemned as mad or sick.

I acknowledge that I am the very being that I condemn which is why I feel so happy when I see these hawks oblivious to our presence or familiarity. When asked if I believe Pale Male ‘knows’ me, I only for a moment immerse myself in the flattery of the very question, but soon enough celebrate the absurdity of such a thought; their distance from us is proportional to their magnificence. So please Pale Male, don’t know us! And Happy Birthday Stinker #1!